Thursday, November 24, 2011

Remembering Grandmom #3


Kiss through the Night Door

(Bye, you guys. I've just flipped the breaker.
I'm leaving. Goodnight and sleep well.)

I'ts gosh-awful dark. Where are ya? Can't see ya.
I know you're in here somewhere.

Here I am. (On the other side of the barricade.)

Ach. Missed you again. (Her hand's over there.)
I did it last night, why can't I tonight?
(Those bars are in your way.)

Hey. Where's my kiss?
(You can't see either. Your glasses are off.
I know--I took 'em.)

Well. (Try again.) Now.
I've got to get to bed, and you do too.

Ya. Me too.
Love you.

Love you too.

(Now I'm out the door, and I can't see either.
Grandmom's socks in my hand yet. Oh well.
They're wet now.

I love you guys too.)


[This is a scene I witnessed the other night, my grandfather talking to my grandmother, who has Alzheimer's. The night door is a crossbar structure that fastens with a padlock inside the door to her bedroom each night to keep her from wandering.]

No comments:

Post a Comment