Thursday, November 24, 2011

Grandmom #2


Grandmother tales

So I go over to fix breakfast at my grandparents' house, and I check in the bedroom--Grandmom's still asleep (fully dressed, shoes and all on the bed as usual :)). Two minutes later, I'm cutting up the apples, and suddenly behind me I hear her quavery voice singing cheerily, "Oh, Polly's here, on Daddy's head!"  . . . :) :) Go figure . . . But she's so cute.

The Alzheimer's is, obviously, still working on her, but it has gotten SOO much better since the days of lampshade ripping (when she had the heart attack). I never thought that taking care of old folks would be so much fun! You should try it sometime, gentle reader. For one thing, you get free pickles. Grandmom and I go through about a gallon of whole dills every week. (We never buy them up at my house.) And Pop-pop washes all the dishes he can get his hands on, just for something to do. Now THAT”S handy! :) 

Sometimes the conversation is so fun--you have to try and predict what she means to say, and then make what comes out match it, because if you try to follow her words, it won't make much sense. The other morning, I forgot something when helping her dress, and had to go back and fix it. I said, "Oops, I messed that up, didn't I?" She replied grinning, "Yep, sure did. I guess now we'll have to go get some ice cream!" :) 

Once at the dinner table, we were talking about some old relative of theirs, wondering if she was still alive, and Grandmom muses, “Well, she was, the last time I saw her . . .”
Another time, she turned to my dad and, entirely unprovoked, shot out a friendly, “I'm gonna kick your butt when we get home!” (Apparently that's a Bucks County thing . . . a gesture of approval or something . . . :?) 

I took them into town the other day for some business, and we stopped for lunch in the mall. (Incidentally, it was also her birthday.) After a little confusion over the location of the trash can, a helpful lady relieved my grandfather of the luch tray and dumped it for him. As they thanked the lady, Grandmom kept grinning and shaking her hand, and the lady just grinned and shook back. Finally, Grandmom said, laughing, “What are you smiling at? Do you know something I don't know?” :) The lady shook her head, of course, (probably a little confused . . .) and we ambled off. As we left the food court, she leaned over to me and whispered conspiratorily, “Do you think she knew it was my birthday?” :) :)

I love my grandparents!

No comments:

Post a Comment